14 December 2010

Nokia E72 turns into a modem!

I recently bought a new Asus A42J laptop and thought to myself, 'How can I get internet if I took my laptop out and there were no wireless hot spots?" - then I looked at my Nokia E72 and the idea of using my mobile phone as a USB modem came to life. So here's how:

What you need:
  • Laptop with spare USB slots
  • Nokia E72
  • Data plan enabled on your Nokia hand held
  • Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite installed
For this instance, I have chosen to install Ovi Suite. Download and install Ovi Suite from here:

http://www.nokia.com.au/support/download-software/nokia-ovi-suite

After the installation completes, connect your Nokia E72 to your PC using the USB cable it came with. Open the Ovi Suite and select Tools and then Connect to Internet. An easy to follow wizard will pop up going through basic connection settings such as picking your phone provider. That's pretty much it. The Ovi application also shows you your connection duration information such as duration time and how much data you have downloaded - useful when you have a data limit towards your data plan.

Now you don't have to buy a Wireless USB dongle like this douche below - you owe me.

No comments: